The Maritime Safety and Security Centre (MSSC) is based in Cuxhaven (Lower Saxony), right at the mouth of the river Elbe.
All of the authorities responsible for maritime security and facilities in this high-performance network have been united. These joint Federal and coastal state (Bremen, Hamburg, Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, Lower Saxony and Schleswig-Holstein) institutions consist of
• the Federal Police,
• the Federal Customs Administration,
• the Federal Office for Agriculture and Food,
• the Federal Waterways and Shipping Administration,
• the German Navy,
• the German Waterways Police of the five coastal states and
• the Central Command for Maritime Emergencies.
The technical competencies of these seven partners collaborating within the network represented by the MSSC have been pooled in the Joint Emergency Reporting and Assessment Centre Sea (JERACS) in the interest of national and international shipping as well as the safety and security of the German coast.